Although roses are a valentine's day cliché, did you know that in addition to making your loved one feel appreciated, their extraction also has a number of benefits for your hair? To learn how rose water can benefit you and how you can use it, scroll down below.
What Is Rose Water?
Credit: Envato Elements/ furmanphoto
Rose water is an aqueous solution prepared by capturing the essence of rose petals in water. It can be produced using three different techniques: simmering, distilling, and treating essential oils. These processes can either be done at home or by professionals. Occasionally, rose oil, a by-product of the extraction process, may be substituted for rose water.
The Benefits of Using Rose Water for Your Hair
The following are just a few of the many benefits of using rose water on your hair and scalp:
1) Rose Water Is Fantastic for Scalp Health
Credit: Envato Elements/ Prostock_studio
Since rose water is a mild astringent, it has a surprising ability to calm an inflamed scalp. Additionally, it also has anti-inflammatory qualities that make it effective in treating fungus infections. This means that if you have dandruff caused by a fungal infection, adding rose water to your hair routine will help you get rid of it quickly. Additionally, rose water is beneficial for treating dry scalps and can help you if you have psoriasis or eczema.
2) Rose Water Helps in Controlling Oil Production
Credit: Envato Elements/ olgar23
Rose water is fantastic for helping you maintain your pH balance. It's essential to maintain a balanced pH level to stop your hair from overproducing natural oils. If you have been having trouble controlling excess oil on your scalp and hair, rose water might be the solution you're looking for.
3) Rose Water Helps Reducing Frizz
Credit: Envato Elements/ weewendy
Frizzy and dry hair can be caused by a variety of factors, such as excessive use of heat tools, chemical treatments, etc. Sometimes, despite using the best products available, nothing may seem to work for you. If you seem to be having this problem, rose water might be the cure. Rose water can reduce frizz since it has the ability to smooth the hair shaft and repair damaged hair.
4) Rose Water Helps to Promote Hair Growth and Reduce Hair Loss
Credit: Envato Elements/ klavdiyav
Rose water is rich in vitamins B3, E, D, C, and A. These vitamins are essential for boosting hair health. When rose water is applied directly to the scalp, these vitamins are absorbed into the scalp and hair follicles, giving them the nutrition they need thereby promoting hair growth and minimizing hair loss.
How Can Rose Water Be Made at Home?
Credit: Envato Elements/ trimarchi_photo
To make rose water at home, you'll need 8 roses and 1.5 liters of distilled water, or just enough to cover the petals. Once you have the necessary ingredients, follow these steps to make your own rose water at home:
- Remove the petals from the stems and give them a quick rinse in lukewarm water.
- Place the petals in a big pot.
- Add just enough distilled water to the pot to cover the petals.
- Place the pot on a stove.
- Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat when the rose petals lose their color.
- Remove the rose petals from the rose water and throw them away.
- Store the rose water in a single large glass jar or several smaller glass jars away from the sun and in a cool place.
How to Use Rose Water on Your Hair
Credit: Envato Elements/ margaritaylita
There are several methods to apply rose water to your hair. Here are a few examples of them:
- For damaged hair and a dry scalp, you can use rose water as a pre-poo (this trick is great for curly and natural hair). Simply combine it with some oils such as coconut oil, coat your hair with it, and leave it in place for a few hours while wearing a shower cap before washing as usual. If you don't have curly or natural hair, you can use rose water as an after-shampoo rinse. This hair rinse will help to replenish your moisture levels and counteract the drying effects of your shampoo.
- If you want to lessen frizz, simply add rose water to a spray bottle and spray as required.
- To treat scalp problems, you can try rubbing rose water into your scalp. For a simple application trick, try dabbing some rose water on a cotton ball.
What Side Effects Does Rose Water Have on Hair?
Credit: Envato Elements/ SkloStudio
Most people shouldn't experience any negative side effects from rose water, however, if you are allergic to rose petals, using it on your scalp may cause burning, redness, or itching. To prevent this from happening, always do a patch test.
The benefits of using rose water for hair are obvious. Because this aromatic aqueous solution satisfies all the requirements for an effective hair care treatment, using it frequently can help you get closer to having healthy hair. If you are still unsure if rose water is the right addition to your routine, you can always speak with your dermatologist.