Our hair becomes brittle, lifeless, and prone to damage as a result of daily exposure to harsh sunshine, weather fluctuations, stress, and pollution. While there are a plethora of products on the market, nothing beats the effectiveness of natural ingredients. Try these simple DIY hair masks for curly hair that are quick to make and can do wonders for your hair.
1) Egg Mask for Damaged and Brittle Hair
Credit: Food Unfolded
If you've been putting a lot of moisture in your hair and it's still dry or damaged, you could need a protein treatment. To help restore strength, this DIY egg hair mask combines protein-rich eggs, coconut oil, and avocado, as well as hydrating aloe vera and olive oil to enhance suppleness.
- 1-2 eggs
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ avocado, pitted and chopped
- avocado oil (two teaspoons) (optional)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (optional)
- Spray Bottle
1) Blend all of the ingredients in a blender until completely smooth (no clumps, no chunks).
2) Section your damaged hair and clip additional sections up and out of the way.
3) Fill a spray bottle halfway with water and moisten each part before applying the mask.
4) Scoop up a little amount of the mask and smooth it through your hair until it's completely soaked, then clip it up and proceed on to the next section. If you're working with type-4 hair, skip the clip and instead untangle your hair before braiding it down.
5) Allow at least 20 minutes for your hair to dry after covering it with a shower cap or a grocery bag.
6) Shampoo and condition as usual.
2) Yogurt Hair Mask to Reduce Breakage and Increase Hair Growth
Credit: Daily Sabah
When hair is delicate, dry, and brittle, it breaks – or gets split ends.
A DIY hair mask made with Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and honey can help your hair repair and grow stronger. Greek yogurt will provide protein to your hair, while apple cider vinegar will cleanse it and honey will help seal in moisture. This hair mask is also great for hair fall.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
1) Combine all ingredients to make your yogurt hair mask.
2) Apply to your hair from roots to tips and leave for 15 minutes to dry.
3) Rinse well with water and shampoo and condition as usual.
3) Rice Water and Avocado Hair Mask for Healthier Curls
Inositol is a component of rice water that is thought to be able to permeate the hair and repair any damage. Avocado also has a high amount of vitamin B-complex, which aids hair development, in addition to being extremely moisturizing. This homemade hair mask will help your curls reclaim their vitality and definition.
- 1 cup of rice
- 2 cups of water
- ½ avocado
1) Mash half an avocado to make this hair mask and soak 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of water.
2) To remove the rice grains from the water, sieve the mixture.
3) Toss in the avocado mash with the rice water.
4) Apply it to your hair and scalp.
5) Allow 20 to 25 minutes for it to sit on your hair before washing it out with warm water and a light shampoo.
4) Banana and Avocado Hair Mask For Limp and Dry Hair
Credit: Naturally Savvy
Curly hair is notorious for being incredibly dry and frizzy. Furthermore, heat style, sun damage, and regular exposure to the elements aggravate by leaving it dull and brittle, robbing it of its original texture. Quench your thirsty hair with this ultra-moisturizing and nourishing hair mask that will strengthen your strands while adding bounce and gloss to your natural curl.
- 1 banana
- ½ avocado
- 3 tsp mayo
- 2 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tsp castor oil
- 1 egg (optional)
1) In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana and avocado together. To this combine the mayonnaise, coconut oil, castor oil, and egg.
2) Mix till you get a smooth paste.
3) Apply generously to damp, shampooed hair in sections, focusing on each part from root to tip.
3) Put on the shower cap and let your hair absorb the mask for about an hour after you've finished applying it to your entire hair.
4) Rinse well with cold water.
5) Baking Soda Hair Mask for Product Buildup
Credit: THAM KEE CHUAN
It's easy to build up layers of residue from hair care and styling products, especially for curly hair. Buildup can cause greasy-looking and feeling strands, dullness, and even dandruff-like flakes. With this baking soda hair mask, you can get rid of excess oil and buildup.
- half a cup of shampoo
- 1-2 tbsp baking soda
1) Combine shampoo and baking soda in a mixing bowl, stir well, and apply to damp hair.
2) Massage the mixture into your scalp gently and let it stay for a few minutes before thoroughly washing.
6) Coconut Cream, Cocoa Powder, and Cinnamon for Thinning Hair
The theobromine in the cocoa powder boosts growth by boosting blood flow. Cinnamon increases circulation around hair follicles. Both of these contribute to this mask's ability to promote thickness.
- 5 ounces of coconut cream/coconut milk
- ½ cup of no-sugar-added cocoa powder
- ¾ tablespoon of powdered cinnamon
1) In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth and creamy.
2) Apply to moist hair from root to tip, cover with a plastic cap, and leave on for 30 minutes.
3) Rinse well with warm water before shampooing as usual.
DIY hair mask recipes are the way to go. They're inexpensive, fun, and effective. Your curly hair will love these 6 masks. Just make sure you use high-quality ingredients. Also, keep in mind that you are unlikely to observe benefits right away. And that's perfectly fine! Observing a difference can take several weeks.